Saturday, January 8, 2011

Devil in the Details

I never speak in absolutes (buh-dum-tish), not even when it comes to crappy fanfiction.

Opinions I post here and on my ANs are really just the short of it. They're the rage-induced part of me venting my major issues and not the rational side that will go, "Yeah, but".

No, I'm not condemning EVERY story that uses a plot device or character trope that I disagree with personally. Some of the best stories, ones that I've marked as favorites, that I love with all of my bitter heart and soul, have taken concepts I hate and flipped them on their ears. Those are the best stories: the ones that surprise me and they exist.

They're just so few and far between that in the mean time I have to rant and hate on the truly crap ones to preserve my fragile sanity (then, looking for good fanfiction can be a bit like looking for a diamond in a shit heap).

By the same token, I'm not saying everything I write is perfect and cliche free. Believe me, I can rip my own stuff to shreds just as easily as I tear into anything else. My opinions are just coming from a lot of experience, a lot of reading from a lot of different time periods and styles, and a lot of Lit Major nerdiness.

In short: take everything with a grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment